BUY 1 OR 100+ ITEMS - ONLY $2.99 TO SHIP! * | FREE SHIPPING ON ALL CLOTHING! *USA ONLY
||CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-617-652-8222 (Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM EST)|
Arthur Russell: Wild Combination: A Portrait Of Arthur Russell
No Longer Available
SummaryWith his documentary Wild Combination: A Portrait of Arthur Russell, director Matt Wolf etches out a biographical portrait of avant-garde musician, artist, and disco producer Arthur Russell, who died of AIDS at age 40 in 1992. Though Russell was a classically trained composer and cellist with an almost encyclopedic knowledge of indigenous Indian music, this performer quickly branched off in a more offbeat and unusual direction. The Oskaloosa, IA, native fixated on such counterculture icons as John Cage and Timothy Leary at an early age, then ran away from home during adolescence and joined a Frisco-based Buddhist group. Russell became acquainted and associated with poet Allen Ginsberg, then moved to New York City, where (like Cage) he established himself as a veritable fixture in the underground music scene and worked as the music director for The Kitchen. By the mid-'70s, Russell began producing prescient disco records in the pre-Gibb days, under colorful pseudonyms such as Indian Ocean and Loose Joints. Unfortunately, he never culled the devoted following that he deserved until about 15 years after his death. Wolf employs a fractured film-essay style throughout the film, intercutting such materials as archival footage, extracts of musical compositions by Russell, and revealing interviews with Russell's family. Thematically, the director uses the tale of Russell's colorful life as a springboard into investigations of broader subjects and themes including gay lifestyles in the early AIDS era, the sociocultural landscape of Manhattan (and the cultural underground) during the 1970s and '80s, and the importance of staking out new directions in art and music for an innovative mind such as Russell's.
|1. ||Feature Film (Running Time: 71 Minutes)|
|1. ||Archival Arthur Russell Performance Footage|
|2. ||Allen Ginsberg's Mantra At Arthur's Memorial|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
'12" Vinyl Record Pape…'
Sleeves & Jacke… | $19.99
'12" Vinyl Protective …'
Sleeves & Jacke… | $9.99
|P&P Records x Serato …|
'P&P Records: Hits Hit…'
Control Vinyl | $59.99
'Anti-Static Carbon Fi…'
Cleaning Tool | $14.99
'Ruff Draft (Instrumen…'
Vinyl LP | $20.50
'Minimal Wave Edits Vo…'
Vinyl EP | $11.99
'Style Wars: The Film …'
DVD | $15.50
DVD | $14.50
Reviews and Comments
• The recommended review length is 75 to 300 words.
• Your review should focus on specific reasons you like this item.
• The best reviews include not only whether you liked or disliked this item, but also why.
What not to include:
• Commenting on other reviews visible on the page. Other reviews and their position on the page are subject to change without notice.
• Profanity, obscenities, or spiteful remarks.
• Single-word reviews. We want to know why you liked or disliked the item.
• Phone numbers, mail addresses, URLs.
|Type to the left to leave a comment about this item - your comment will show right here!|Order Processing Details:
- Shopping with us is 100% safe using our secure order form!
- The more items you order, the cheaper shipping is per item.
- Every order submitted receives an order ID to view your order details at anytime.
- Most orders ship within 2 business days unless noted otherwise on the item detail page. Your entire order will ship together.
- USA orders ship via USPS with a tracking number and are given the option to ship:
Overnight: Guaranteed delivery 1 to 2 days after processing.
Priority: 2 to 3 days after processing.
First Class: Estimated 3 to 4 days after processing (shipments under 16 oz. are given this option).
Standard: Estimated 4 to 6 days after processing.
Flat Rate: Estimated 2 to 7 days (varies based on location) after processing.
- International orders ship via USPS Air Mail: Estimated delivery 7 to 14 business days after processing.
- We gladly accept the following credit and debit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.
- We also accept payment via Paypal, money orders, checks (USA customers only) & cash (US dollars).
For other frequently asked questions, please see our store help