BUY 1 OR 100+ ITEMS - ONLY $2.99 TO SHIP! * | FREE SHIPPING ON ALL CLOTHING! *USA ONLY
||CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-617-652-8222 (Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM EST)|
Various Artists (Compiled By: Sean P): Rock It... Don't Stop It! Rapping To The Boogie Beat In Brooklyn, Boston & Beyond, 1979-1983
Black Vinyl ImportVinyl LP Record [2LP]
Date Sold Out:Tuesday, June 24, 2014
if/ when back in stock)
- w/ Bonus Album CD
SummaryWithout doubt, funk is the father of hip-hop - and although disco is sometimes viewed as somewhat anathematic to that movement, it's worth remembering that for a while at least, it provided the vehicle that brought rap out of New York and presented it to the world - and the results of these divergent musical styles crossing paths still resonate around the globe.
It's easy to forget or play down the importance of the Sugarhill Gang's 'Rapper's Delight' - an unusual, clever novelty record that was cocksure and playful, which burned up the commercial airwaves in 1979. It was followed swiftly by Kurtis Blow's 'Christmas Rapping', which also charted and gave Top Of The Pops its first on-stage rapper in early 1980. Although it wasn't yet referred to as hip-hop in the UK, rap had already made itself known to the record-buying public at large - and as the rap 12-inch single was barely a year old, this was an incredible feat for such a nascent scene.
The largely independent rap releases which had been slowly but steadily trickling out of the US would occasionally, like Sugarhill's appropriation of Chic's 'Good Times', take their musical cues from popular club tracks of the day - and disco-derived rap records were plenty. 'Rock It... Don't Stop It!' features a selection of forgotten or relatively obscure rap singles from the '79-'83 period, universally known as 'old school', which fall into this category. Inspiration for these vignettes from hip-hop's evolution range from classic party rockers by Cheryl Lynn, through to Yazoo (and, no doubt, 'Rapper's Delight') and the featured MCs give it their best shot with humour, earnestness and everything in-between. Although most of these hail from New York state, the under-represented Massachusetts shines alongside a prominent player which at the time had yet to find its own distinctive voice - Los Angeles.
Hip hop and rap are now a dominant force in contemporary music and have constantly adapted to stay relevant, drawing on and absorbing all around them. 'Rock It... Don't Stop It!' goes back over 30 years to their collective big bang moment.
|4. ||Terry Lewis And Wildflower - 'The People's Message, Take Two'|
Producer: Terry Lewis
|10. ||Kevin Fleetwood And The Cadillacs Of Sound feat. Mark K., L7, Grandmaster C, Therez - 'Sweat (The B Side)'|
Producer: Tony Rose
Reviews and Comments
• The recommended review length is 75 to 300 words.
• Your review should focus on specific reasons you like this item.
• The best reviews include not only whether you liked or disliked this item, but also why.
What not to include:
• Commenting on other reviews visible on the page. Other reviews and their position on the page are subject to change without notice.
• Profanity, obscenities, or spiteful remarks.
• Single-word reviews. We want to know why you liked or disliked the item.
• Phone numbers, mail addresses, URLs.
|Average Visitor Rating: |
4/15/2014 3:27:00 AM; Partial IP: .61.159.64)Location:
This is loaded with random rap grails that are expensive and hard to find. The only thing that can make a compilation like this better is releasing it in a gatefold sleeve and pressing it on black vinyl. I almost slept on this one and think it's going to be one of my favorite purchases this year.
Order Processing Details:
- Shopping with us is 100% safe using our secure order form!
- The more items you order, the cheaper shipping is per item.
- Every order submitted receives an order ID to view your order details at anytime.
- Most orders ship within 2 business days unless noted otherwise on the item detail page. Your entire order will ship together.
- USA orders ship via USPS with a tracking number and are given the option to ship:
Overnight: Guaranteed delivery 1 to 2 days after processing.
Priority: 2 to 3 days after processing.
First Class: Estimated 3 to 4 days after processing (shipments under 16 oz. are given this option).
Standard: Estimated 4 to 6 days after processing.
Flat Rate: Estimated 2 to 7 days (varies based on location) after processing.
- International orders ship via USPS Air Mail: Estimated delivery 7 to 14 business days after processing.
- We gladly accept the following credit and debit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.
- We also accept payment via Paypal, money orders, checks (USA customers only) & cash (US dollars).
For other frequently asked questions, please see our store help