BUY 1 OR 100+ ITEMS - ONLY $2.99 TO SHIP! * | FREE SHIPPING ON ALL CLOTHING! *USA ONLY
||CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-617-652-8222 (Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM EST)|
Various Artists: Loving On The Flipside: Sweet Funk And Beat-Heavy Ballads 1969-1977
|You Save:||$1.99 (10%)|
Add to cart
SummaryTHE LONG OVERLOOKED BALLADS FROM THE FLIP SIDES OF THE FUNK 45S IN THE NOW-AGAIN AND TRUTH & SOUL VAULTS. 21 RARE AND UNRELEASED TRACKS, 80-PAGE BOOK WITH FULL ANNOTATION, NEVER-BEFORE-PUBLISHED PHOTOS AND EACH BAND'S STORY.
We at Now-Again unearthed so much information about the bands that recorded the definitive disco and modern soul contained in our recently launched Soul Cal anthology that we decided we had no choice but to release an album and a book at the same time. Well, following that line, the music contained on Loving On The Flip Side music is too damn good to be anonymously relaunched, decades after musical visionaries blended the best of heavy funk and sweet soul into a unified whole. And simply telling the stories of these vocalists and bands without allowing their lovelorn pleas to be heard again wasn't an option. Thus, Loving On The Flip Side again offers the enthused a chance to listen to, read about and reflect on another great burst of black American creativity: the creation of the sublime genre we like to call "sweet funk."
It seems laughable to skip past Thomas East's "Slipping Around" 7" for the cheesy funk of 'Just A Trip," or to listen obsessively to Lou Ragland's instrumental funk on the Hot Chocolate LP and ignore his indolent-yet-stirring "We Had True Love." Yet we did just that, until we and the production team known as Truth & Soul first heard the Darling Dears and Funky Heavy's beautiful two-sider nearly ten years back. This was the record that set Loving On The Flip Side in motion, as the Darling Dears and Funky Heavy's two songs precipitated the sweet funk genre: the dichotomy of Funky Heavy's skull snapping rhythm section and the teenage Dears' angelic harmonies didn't sound like anything we'd heard before. That discovery set off a decade long search for the band and culminated in their discovery, the documenting of their stories, the emergence of their master tapes and the inclusion of their songs on Loving On The Flip Side.
The excitement we felt while listening to the Darling Dears and Funky Heavy's masterworks forced us back into the field, in search of other sweet funk swooners and beat-heavy ballads to round out this anthology. The opportunity to present anew such wondrous soul music made the exhaustive process that produced Loving On The Flip Side worthwhile, and allowed us to collect one-offs that escaped prior investigations into the deep funk and sweet soul genres.
Presented as an 80-page book filled with rare photos and each band's story; CD comes in its own sleeve within.
|2. ||Eddie Finley & The Cincinnati Show Band - 'Treat Me Right Or Leave Me Alone'|
Producer: The Cincinnati Show Band
|4. ||Hot Chocolate - 'We Had True Love'|
Producer: Lou Ragland
|5. ||Little Janice - 'Since You've Been Gone'|
Producer: Paul Gayten
|9. ||Rhythm Machine - 'Whatcha Gonna Do?'|
Producer: Rhythm Machine
|10. ||Lee Bonds - 'I'll Find A True Love'|
Producer: Paul Coleman
|11. ||Ed. Nelson - 'I'll Give You A Ring (When I Come, If I Come)'|
Producer: Edward 'Apple' Nelson
|13. ||Symphonic Four - 'Who Do You Think You're Fooling (Part I)'|
Producer: Randy Hudson
|14. ||Black Exotics - 'What Am I Waiting For'|
Producer: Sonny Thomas
|15. ||The Conspiracy - 'I Believe (Our Love Has Gone Away)'|
Producer: Lee Anthony
|16. ||Black Velvet - 'Is It Me You Really Love'|
Producer: Sammy Campbell
|17. ||Primitive - 'You Are Everything To Me'|
|18. ||Eunice Collins - 'At The Hotel'|
Producer: L. Hamilton
|19. ||Hunts Determination Band - 'Are We Through'|
Producer: Regional Garland
|21. ||Symphonic Four - 'Who Do You Think You're Fooling (Part II)'|
Producer: Randy Hudson
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
CD | $14.99
'The Idea Of Beautiful'
CD | $14.99
CD | $13.50
CD | $17.99
|Norah Jones w/ Danger…|
'Little Broken Hearts'
CD | $17.50
'Loving On The Flipsid…'
Vinyl LP | $25.99
|Blu & Exile|
'Give Me My Flowers Wh…'
CD | $15.99
'Ondatropica (Deluxe E…'
CD | $25.50
CD | $13.50
'Forge Your Own Chains…'
CD | $15.99
Reviews and Comments
• The recommended review length is 75 to 300 words.
• Your review should focus on specific reasons you like this item.
• The best reviews include not only whether you liked or disliked this item, but also why.
What not to include:
• Commenting on other reviews visible on the page. Other reviews and their position on the page are subject to change without notice.
• Profanity, obscenities, or spiteful remarks.
• Single-word reviews. We want to know why you liked or disliked the item.
• Phone numbers, mail addresses, URLs.
|Type to the left to leave a comment about this item - your comment will show right here!|Order Processing Details:
- Shopping with us is 100% safe using our secure order form!
- The more items you order, the cheaper shipping is per item.
- Every order submitted receives an order ID to view your order details at anytime.
- Most orders ship within 2 business days unless noted otherwise on the item detail page. Your entire order will ship together.
- USA orders ship via USPS with a tracking number and are given the option to ship:
Overnight: Guaranteed delivery 1 to 2 days after processing.
Priority: 2 to 3 days after processing.
First Class: Estimated 3 to 4 days after processing (shipments under 16 oz. are given this option).
Standard: Estimated 4 to 6 days after processing.
Flat Rate: Estimated 2 to 7 days (varies based on location) after processing.
- International orders ship via USPS Air Mail: Estimated delivery 7 to 14 business days after processing.
- We gladly accept the following credit and debit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.
- We also accept payment via Paypal, money orders, checks (USA customers only) & cash (US dollars).
For other frequently asked questions, please see our store help